Book

I am currently writing a book on communication in bodies and bodily adornment. It is under contract with Bloomsbury. A post I wrote for Aesthetics for Birds on the book material is here.

The following are the current working chapters:

Chapter 1: Meaning in Adornment and Patterning
Chapter 2: Taking Adornment Seriously: Barthes, Structuralism in Dress
Chapter 3: What We Communicate with Bodily Adornment (Non-Natural Meaning)
Chapter 4: What Human Bodies Mean (Natural Meaning)
Chapter 5: Darwinian Natural & Sexual Selection
Chapter 6: Aesthetic Choices and Art
Chapter 7: Deception in the Human and Animal Worlds (Imitation of Natural Meaning & Lying in Non-Natural Meaning)
Chapter 8: Information, Suppression, Expression
Chapter 9: Bodily Signaling in Prehistory and the Making of Humankind

Scholarly Articles

“Embodied and Extended Numerical Cognition” (with Caleb Everett). In Allen-Hermanson, S. and Killin, A. (Eds.) Explorations in Archaeology and Philosophy. Springer. In press.

Making Meaning Manifest” Croatian Journal of Philosophy. Vol. 19. No. 57. (2019): pp. 497-520.

Seeking Speaker Meaning in the Archaeological Record“. Biological Theory. Vol. 12. No. 4. (2017): pp. 262-274.

Cooperation with Multiple Audiences“. Croatian Journal of Philosophy. Vol. 16. No. 47. (2016): pp. 203-227.

Tree Trimming: Four Non-Branching Rules for Priest’s Introduction to Non-Classical Logic“. Australasian Journal of Logic. Vol. 12. No. 2. (2015): pp. 97-120.

Popular Press Articles

Must We Mean What We Wear?” Aesthetics for Birds. October 19, 2019.

Archaeology Excavates the Layers of Meaning We Leave Behind“. Aeon-Psyche. November 4, 2020.

Quoted

In 2020 Fashion Became Existential – Here’s Why That’s a Good Thing“. Refinery 29. December 30, 2020.

Dissertation

I defended my dissertation August 2017. It was completed with funding awarded by the American Society for Aesthetics Dissertation Fellowship and an Interdisciplinary Committee for Science Studies at the CUNY Graduate Center Dissertation Fellowship.

Dissertation: Meaning Through Things

Interpretation is the process by which we find meaning in the things in the world around us: clouds on the horizon, bones, street signs, hairbrushes, uniforms, paintings, letters, and utterances. But where does that meaning come from and on what basis are we justified in saying a particular meaning is the right meaning? Drawing from debates in the philosophy of language, I argued that a complete theory of meaning and interpretation must be grounded in intentions. My dissertation employed research in the philosophy of language, aesthetics, linguistics, and cognitive science to develop a general framework of interpretation. This framework was then broadly applied to objects of interpretation across a range of fields: legal theory, history, art history, archaeology, theology, scientific imaging, dress, and literature.

Need help with the Commons? Visit our
help page
Send us a message