Book

I am currently writing a book on communication in bodies and bodily adornment. It is under contract with Bloomsbury. The following are the current working chapters:

Chapter 1: Meaning in Adornment and Patterning
Chapter 2: Taking Adornment Seriously: Barthes, Structuralism in Dress
Chapter 3: What We Communicate with Bodily Adornment (Non-Natural Meaning)
Chapter 4: What Human Bodies Mean (Natural Meaning)
Chapter 5: Darwinian Natural & Sexual Selection
Chapter 6: Aesthetic Choices and Art
Chapter 7: Deception in the Human and Animal Worlds (Imitation of Natural Meaning & Lying in Non-Natural Meaning)
Chapter 8: Information, Suppression, Expression
Chapter 9: Bodily Signaling in Prehistory and the Making of Humankind

Dissertation

I defended my dissertation August 2017. It was completed with funding awarded by the American Society for Aesthetics Dissertation Fellowship and an Interdisciplinary Committee for Science Studies at the CUNY Graduate Center Dissertation Fellowship.

Dissertation: Meaning Through Things

Interpretation is the process by which we find meaning in the things in the world around us: clouds on the horizon, bones, street signs, hairbrushes, uniforms, paintings, letters, and utterances. But where does that meaning come from and on what basis are we justified in saying a particular meaning is the right meaning? Drawing from debates in the philosophy of language, I argue that a complete theory of meaning and interpretation must be grounded in intentions. My dissertation employs research in the philosophy of language, aesthetics, linguistics, and cognitive science to develop a general framework of interpretation. This framework is then broadly applied to objects of interpretation across a range of fields: legal theory, history, art history, archaeology, theology, scientific imaging, dress, and literature.

Papers

Seeking Speaker Meaning in the Archaeological Record“. Biological Theory. Vol. 12. No. 4. (2017): pp. 262-274.

Cooperation with Multiple Audiences“. Croatian Journal of Philosophy. Vol. 16. No. 47. (2016): pp. 203-227.

Tree Trimming: Four Non-Branching Rules for Priest’s Introduction to Non-Classical Logic“. Australasian Journal of Logic. Vol. 12. No. 2. (2015): pp. 97-120.

Need help with the Commons? Visit our
help page
Send us a message